By Jamie Edmondson
JMP received a special honor while attending this year’s International Air-Conditioning Heating Refrigerating Exposition (AHR) in Chicago. We were presented with the Golden Circle Award by the ASHRAE Research Foundation at the President’s luncheon and award ceremony at the Palmer House Hotel. This award recognizes those companies who have contributed $10,000.00 or more to ASHRAE research.
We were honored to receive the award, and flattered by the following statement issued by Dennis Knight, the 2011 Research Project Chair:
“JMP supports ASHRAE at all levels of the Society – from encouraging employees to be active members, sponsoring regional and chapter actives, and supporting the future of the industry by ensuring much needed research is conducted.”
ASHRAE Research Is Important to Us
ASHRAE likes to refer to recipients of this award as “investors” rather than contributors. Some might say that this is clever marketing. At JMP we believe it is every bit as true as it is clever. We are investors in ASHRAE.
We’ve seen firsthand the impact that that ASHRAE research can have. It may not make headlines like cancer research or a major pharmaceutical breakthrough, but the research that ASHRAE helps fund is absolutely crucial to the health, comfort, and safety of every type of indoor environment known to man.
Lessons learned from this research help guide product development and application throughout the world, so we are all impacted, both as individuals and as businesses. If you don’t believe me, just check out the vast number of research projects that ASHRAE funds by going to www.ashrae.org. (Some are also listed at the bottom of this article) You’ll quickly get a feel for the broad range information being gathered with these initiatives. Study projects include everything from “Biological Control in Cooling Towers Using Non-Chemical Water Treatment” to “Occupant Behavior for Low Energy Office Building Design.” It’s fascinating list that will give you new appreciation for ASHRAE as a building technology society (and advocate).
So yes, JMP considers the time and money we spend on ASHRAE to be an investment. After more than 50 years in business it remains a core value of our company.
Here’s a short listing of just some of the research projects that ASHRAE funds:
- Energy Efficiency and Cost Assessment of Humidity Control Options for Residential Buildings
- Investigation of Design Methodology for Net Zero Solar Neighborhoods
- Energy and Performance of Secondary Coolant Low-Temperature Refrigeration Systems
- Effect of Lubricant on the Distribution of Water between Vapor and Liquid Phases of Refrigerants
- Establishment of Design Procedures to Predict Room Airflow Requirements in Partially Mixed Room Air Distribution Systems
- Demand Controlled Filtration for Cleanrooms
- Optimizing Refrigerant Distribution in Evaporators
- Exhalation/Inhalation models for Various Respiratory Events and Prediction of Infection Transmission in an Aircraft Cabin
- The Impact of Household Refrigerator Storage Conditions on Shelf-Life of Fruits and Vegetables
- Natural Ventilation
- Partial Conditioning (reuse of air) as an Energy Saving Strategy for Sustainable Affordable Housing in Hot and Humid Climates
- Thermal Comfort in Commercial Kitchens